The church was built in the 12th century shortly after the Reconquista, although the original temple collapsed in 1677, giving way to the present church, Iglesia de El Salvador.
The church and its altarpiece are considered to be the most important Baroque set in the province of Teruel.
The altarpiece is centred on the statue of ''El Cristo del Salvador,'' carved in the 13th century, also known as Cristo de las Tres Manos (Three-handed Christ). The figure's left side is touched by a third hand belonging to an old triptych of the descent from the Cross which was removed long ago.
This image is the most revered piece of devotion in Teruel.